Made a Mistake on Your Tax Return That Has Been Filled?

Tax filing season can be a stressful time where many people make mistakes on their tax returns each year. In addition, Congress has made many changes in tax laws this year which made the most complicated tax season ever. However, If you just realized that you have made a mistake on your tax return, it is very important to correct the error with the IRS as soon as possible. Otherwise, it might lead you to pay interest and penalties to the IRS.

Can I change my federal income tax return?

No, once you have filed and sent your original tax return to the IRS, you can no longer change that return. But if your e-filed tax return has been rejected, you can fix the error and send it again.

Here’s what you need to know for fixing tax return mistakes:

Generally, the IRS will catch a discrepancy (ex: unreported income) and send you a notice. Then you need to file an amended tax return (using Form 1040X) to correct issues on your return that you have filled already. You can enter the corrected information, adjust your tax liability, and explain why you are changing that was reported on your original return.

To file a Form 1040X, you will need:

  • A copy of Form 1040X.
  • A copy of your original tax return.
  • Any notices from the IRS.
  • Supporting documentation for the return you are amending.
  • Form from your state.

To amend a tax return you can file Form 1040X within three years from the date that you originally filed your tax return or within two years after the date you paid the tax. Also, keep in mind that the states usually use a special form for an amended return and each state has its own provisions for filing returns.

Can I e-file Form 1040X?

Yes, you can e-file amended tax returns for 2019 and 2020, if you filed the original return electronically, unless you may need to send the form by mail. But you will need to print Form 1040X and mail it if you need to do an amended return for 2018 and earlier.